Thursday, July 8, 2010

2010 4th of July Weekend

A year ago I did not know about bloggs or message boards. Other than computer programing of course. How is it that I have worked as a computer programmer since the mid 80's and I knew NOTHING about the web for fun.

Fast forward to July 5, 2010 and I check out the HGTV quilting board. A board member from MO has a friend who has a long haul ahead of her recovering from some medical issues. Susan will be in the hospital or rehabilitation for an extended period. Sooo a message was posted asking for quilt blocks to cheer Susan up. I CAN DO THIS.....

The first thing I thought of was- "It appears that Susan has a lot of people waiting for her to come home". The result: I'm making a home coming ribbon!

I received 1250 different postage stamp fabric squares just 3 days before. Below is my first attempt at using these squares. Its not perfect, far from it. But I hope it brightens up Susan's day.

1) First I built the ribbon with yellow and golds. Boy did it need squaring up!!



2) A little boarder will help set the quilt, and bring out the scrappy-ness



3) Another first - this is such a small piece. I quilted it on my machine.
You remember Rosy, my 201 I purchased last November.



4) Since I had her tuned-up, the stitches are sweeeeet!
I do need practice stitching a STRAIGHT LINE thou....



5) Square the block up again...



6) A boarder of teal and pink. Some of Susan's favorite colors!


Not my best work! look at this seam!



I added a teal loop for hanging, kind-a-like a pot holder and then into the mail last night. I hope she likes it!

No comments: