Sunday, February 14, 2010

Heidi's Quilt

I don't know that I have EVER been so indecisive about a quilt! THREE attempts but I think I'm sticking with this one. This is a quilt for a friend at work. She is having her first child, and I wanted to make something babyish but everytime I picked out colors that went together nothing seemed to work - I just could not do it.

First there was the false start - dont know what else to call it. A few disappearing nine-patch. I love the fabic and colors. It just does not say baby. see....


Then there was Scrappy Baby Blocks. Without the dark blocks the quilt was muddy, there is no other word for it. With the darker scraps - blahhhhh And I'm fairly sure those borders are NOT going to quilt out.


I will finish this, but unless someone loves it - I think I will try to find a home for it as a charity quilt. I want to try machine quilting, and I have been looking for something to practice on. This looks as good as any, well except for the fact that I may have to fix the yellow border. Now where to start? I guess I will be looking on the web for Machine Quilting for Dummys or something similar.

Then I found a double star quilt online. I didn't like the boarder and the construction instructions were lets say "different". But I like the simple double star block design. And as a bonus, I will finished it as 16inches per block. Six blocks would be find as baby quilt. Back to the stash and now I'm looking for some bright colors. It may be a baby quilt but I'm not in the mood for pastels.

How do you like the orange! But somethings still missing.



Some sashing, because I can't let it be.

A few teddy bears because I'm feeling like its still not babyish...

Now should I add more to lighten up the orange I love? hummmm

No comments: